Saturday 26 December 2009

December 23rd Death

By way of introduction, my own father passed away on August 18th of 2009. As a veteran of the War of Vietnam, and because he was my Father, we talked many times about a great many things........war, religion, family. My Dad liked movies too. And one thing he didn't like was how so many movies portrayed Vietnam as a war of dope fiends and lunatics.

When my Father died, I was not sure if he had seen a movie about Vietnam that I hoped he would have liked.

And yes, I know what I said........what I hoped he would have liked.

Recently, as a soldier myself, I was given cause to be reminded of what being a soldier was all about.

It happened in the form of the death of perhaps the greatest soldier of the modern era.....







COLONEL ROBERT LEWIS HOWARD









Colonel Howard was born in Opelika, Alabama on July 11, 1939 and entered the US Army at Montgomery, Alabama in 1956.

Now, I don't know a hell of a lot about Colonel Howard, but this much I do know.....

He entered the Army as a buck private.

He was sent to Vietnam.

As a sergeant with Special Forces in Vietnam, he served five tours of duty.

He carried out classified missions through Laos, Cambodia and North Vietnam.

He was nominated three times for the American Medal of Honor. He was awarded it by President Nixon.

He also received the following:

TWO Distinguished Service Crosses (one with Oak Leaf Cluster),
The Silver Star,
The Defense Superior Service Medal,
Legion of Merit (4 times, three with oak leaf clusters),
The Bronze Star (4 times, three with oak leaf clusters),
The Purple Heart (8 times),
Meritorious Service Medal (3 times),
The Air Medal,
The Joint Service Commendation,
The Army Commendation Medal,
The Joint Service Achievement Medal,
The Army Achievement Medal,
Good Conduct Medal (4 awards),
National Defense Service Medal,
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (3 awards),
Armed Forces Reserve Medal,
NCO Professional Development Ribbon,
Armed Service Ribbon,
Army Overseas Service Ribbon....

and

Presidential Unit Citation (Army)
Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army)
Navy Unit Commendation
Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Unit Citation with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Unit Citation with Palm

Plus other various foreign decorations.

Why am I making a point of this guy, other than him being the most decorated soldier in the modern era?

Because, I honestly feel, my Dad would have loved to know this guy. And, who knows, maybe he did.

Because I think that if my Dad had seen the film "We Were Soldiers", then I think he would have felt that Vietnam was seen in the correct light.

And because my Dad would have wanted me to honour a true soldier.........a "soldier's soldier".

RIP - Colonel Robert L. Howard.

No comments:

Post a Comment